About Our Tiles
About Encaustic Cement Tiles
- Encaustic tiles are the most indestructible, decorative floor and wall tiles on the market
- Used for residential and commercial application both indoors & outdoors- we recommend the use of the tiles in a covered external environment.
- Hadeda is the South African distributer for Secoin – one of the largest encaustic tile manufactures in the world
- Thanks to the durability and aesthetic appearance, these tiles can be used almost anywhere in both Residential and Commercial applications.
- In restaurants, offices, kitchens, bathrooms, showers, covered patios, stair risers and facades.
(Please note: In the case of shower floors and walls, please proceed with caution and use waterproof grouting.)
- Encaustic tiles cannot be used inside or around swimming pools as the chemicals will damage them
- When installing these tiles in a newly renovated home- please ensure that the installation of these tiles is the last part of your project.
- It is recommended that these tiles are not installed on freshly laid concrete- please allow at least 28 days for concrete to cure to 98% before laying your tiles.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are the patterns on Encaustic cement tiles printed or painted? Neither. The patterns are not printed or painted. Liquid coloured materials are hand-poured into a mould with divisions to create the patterns. The patterns form a 2mm layer, therefore the patterns will last for a lifetime. There are old buildings in which encaustic cement tiled floors have been in place for more than 100 years and still retain their beauty.
- Can your encaustic cement tiles be used with heating systems? Yes. Our cement tiles can be used with an underfloor heating system as they conduct heat and can be installed as any other tile.
- Can the tiles be used around a fireplace? Placing the tiles directly inside a fireplace is not recommend.
- Will spillage stain the floor? If it is correctly sealed, it should not absorb stains, however, wipe off any spillage as soon as possible.
- How do I maintain my handmade cement tiles? The tiles should be cleaned with a few drops of a PH-neutral soap in a bucket of warm water. Do not use any acids or bleach on these tiles! If sealed with a topical sealer, we recommend they be resealed every couple of years if placed in high traffic areas.
- Where should I not use cement tiles? Encaustic tiles cannot be used inside or around a swimming pool as the chemicals will damage the tiles. It is also not advisable to use encaustic cement tiles in driveways, inside a fireplace or any outdoor freezing conditions.
An installation and purchasing guide is supplied when purchasing tiles. This should be read carefully as all tiles need to be sealed prior to installation.
Click the video below to see how encaustic cement tiles are made.
About Mexican Handpainted Talavera Tile
Handmade in Mexico.
From 1656, when Spanish craftsmen from the town of Talavera de la Reina landed in Mexico, Mexican craftsmen started producing Talavera pottery and tiles, which have been used extensively in the central colonial cities of Mexico ever since.
Today Talavera handcrafted ceramic tiles are used to decorate private homes, office buildings, public plazas, hotels and restaurants, these tiles are a vital expression of Mexican culture, with a touch of Spanish, Moorish and Mediterranean influences.
Our handmade Talavera tiles are unique and perfectly imperfect- over a long period of time, the glaze on the tiles will develop subtle surface cracks which adds to the natural patina of a handmade tile.
Any colour variances and “imperfections” add to the artistic characteristic quality of these tiles-please be aware of this before purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can the tiles be used? The Talavera techniques produce vibrant colours and delicate details, which can be incorporated into floors, walls, patios, staircases, swimming pools, fountains, and can be installed in kitchens, bathrooms, fireplaces, patio benches, counter tops, stair risers, and main entrance doors. Talavera tiles are hard and durable and can be used continuously as a tiled surface, or simply inset into screed surfaces as aesthetic highlights.
- Can the tiles be used on the floor? The tiles can be used as accents between other floor tiles or as borders.
- Can the tiles be used around a fireplace? Any tile can be used on the face of a fireplace. Placing the tiles directly inside a fireplace is not recommended.
- Can the tiles be used outdoors? Yes, but not in freezing temperatures, or in areas of extreme weather changes.
- In what sizes are the tiles available?5cm X 5cm R11 per tile; 10cm X 10cm R21 per tile; 15cm X 15cm R47 per tile
Please contact us for more information regarding stock availability and prices.